Re: [Harp-L] Building better harps - How?

> Just because something is not solely a science
> doesn't mean it can't be
> taught.

I think nobody said it cannot be taught. Teaching is
also an art :-)

I think art is a way expressing ourselves through
different tools. And it is not the tool, which is
important, however, it effects the quality of
expressivity (or expressiveness (?))
The tools - a sheet of paper and a pencil - can be
described by certain equations. But as we know,
equations are simplifications of reality. But I dont
want to get muddled up in heavy philosophical
discussions, because it may be off topic.

Regarding better harps . . . this Rupert Oysler CD -
which I have never seen, only pictures on the website
- must be pretty good actually. I think it should be a
first lesson for everybody who wants to tweak harps.
All we can do to build better harps is start working
with factory manufactured reeds and reedplates, this
must be obvious (unless somebody has an incredibly
well prepared workshop, with the necessary tools for
making reeds and reedplates). Because a lot depends on
the material, and the tolerances as well. After this,
there are only adjusting, sealing and construction
issues left.
I think everything about increasing harp
responsiveness and artightness is already described at
many places on the net. To start investigating air
flow phenomena around reeds and go into serious
scientific experiments should be very exciting, but I
have no time, money and energy to do it at the moment.
So . . . I am trying to invent new constructions. I
have made my own overblow harmonica, and the next
project is a 10 hole harp, which can be blow bent in
the same easy way as it is draw bent. I hope some day
I will have the time to make it happen :-)

Zombor

who happens to be a mechanical engineer as well :-)