[Harp-L] Getting back to LW's "Last Night"

Hi Fellas,

I realize my thoughts on Little Walters "Last Night" may not have been very
interesting but I just want to say the Johnny Winter's cover of that song,
or anyone else's cover of it for that matter, is not anything like LW's;
there's no comparing them.  I have a Paul Butterfield version and it's
nothing like it either.  I was trying to encourage people to listen to it
not because I want anybody prefer it over other versions and make it their
'new favorite version'.  I was talking about it because it showcases a
particular kind of harp playing.

One of the great thing Blues standards, like in Jazz or in any genre, is
that the songs are scaffolds over which the performer can impose his or her
style.  Please love what ever version of "Last Night" you want - or not.
But listen to LW's version if you want to hear a very smoldering, and yet
extremely subdued and controlled, harp solo.  The drum work ain't too shabby
either.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh