Fwd: [Harp-L] simply which chrome?

Hohner #280 64 Chromonica. This four-octave harmonica and its close
relatives have been the main chromatic ax of blues harmonica players
since Little Walter first used one about fifty years ago.

You can get beefed-up models like the Super 64 and the Super 64x.
These are more costly and you mentioned price being a consideration.
The artists mentioned in some cases have used these enhanced models,
and in other cases have used older, vintage versions which are both
more expensive and harder to track down and may require professional
reconditioning - it's like getting into vintage cars.

(True, these artists have also recorded using three-octave chromatics
in keys other than C - but let's keep it simple for now).

There are four-octave models available from Hering and Suzuki that
are definitely worthy of consideration and some will argue that these
are better instruments than the 280. Again, the Suzuki instruments
will be more expensive than the 280, while the Hering instruments,
though they are both less expensive and more responsive than Hohner
instruments, are, in my experience, not nearly as durable.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sean stephens
<thepriapist@xxxx> wrote:
Good evening/afternoon ladies and gents.
Sitting here on the verge of ordering a Bf chrome so as to try and
play along with George,Rod,Dennis et al.
I know its a moot point,but could someone suggest best model(cost is
a limiting factor),ie Hering vs Hohner and which particular one.
I am an intermediate player(can utter phrases,TB/SLAP etc but am not
as yet fully articulate)
Time is of the essence as my mother is for one night only
underwriting this purchase plus maybe the Butterfield double live cd
(if I can find it!).Thus I will act swiftly upon any early
recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
Sean.
PS Can I just wish any of you guys affected by the recent tempest my
sincere best wishes and hope for some future relief.