[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 25, Issue 3

     Fellow harpers, I'm filled with sadness over the
disaster
that is New Orleans and the affected southern U.S.
And I'm
pissed that 40% of the funding that Clinton organized
shore up the levies on Lake Ponchartrain were cut by
our
moronic short-sighted President . We have  much of our
National Guard in Iraq unavailable to the poorest and
most unprotected right here at home . Well, at least
after 3 days W
did manage a fly over and a 90 second mention in a
speech .
I really hated to see him cut his vacation short . Did
I mention
trapped people dying in squalor ?
    I'm very glad people are organizing charity drives
effectively to help these victims . Now how about the
oil com-
panies w/ their record profits making SUBSTANTIAL
donations ? What about the wealthiest  1% , recipients
  of
massive tax cuts, unprecedented in time of war making
SUB-
STANTIAL donations . The rest of us worried about
mundane
things like rent and food with our hearts in the right
place
might and undoubtedly will offer our pittances and
anything
else we can because we can relate to these poor folks
BUT we need a systemized social service structure .
                                  Thanks,
.             Chris "Hammer " Smith

> [...]
> >  - but he avoided (because it wasn't available to
> him) the note which
> > is
> > raised draw on #5 (F# in the key of G - the major
> 7th).
>
>   That note is VERY important and is probably the
> MOST important in the
> song. To avoid it, shows ...well, to be truthful,
> 'I' couldn't do that.
> >
> > I suppose you could overblow this note - or play a
> solo which
> > doesn't follow the melody exactly.
>
>   Overblowing this note is not authentic, as it is
> better to start
> 'slightly' UNDER the sharp with a bend on the 5th
> reed almost back to
> it's original natural and gradually slur UP and
> bring the note into the
> sharp.
> >
> > And I'm sure some other harpers out there have
> other positions
> > they play Georgia in.
> >
> > I believe Ray Charles' version is in G, by the
> way.
>
>   That's true, but it was originally written in F.
> To play it in G
> switch to a C harp and as I said earlier, with the
> 5th draw raised the
> 1/2 tone to a sharp. I sing it and play it in G
> (spah 2002) but most
> bands will look at you questioningly if you do.
>
> smokey-joe & the Cafe s
>

> > __
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:51:09 -0400
> From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Beatbox Meets Harmonica
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> > Obviously, it's a matter of opinion, and you are
> certainly
> > welcome to yours.  But, in my opinion the whooping
> sucks,
> > and ruins the songs for me.  I can't listen to
> them.
> > I guess that's why there's all different kinds of
> music,
> > because there are all different kinds of people.
> Peace.
> >
> > Richard J. Smith
> > Wormleysburg, PA
> >

>   I would be happy if I COULD do the whooping, but
> my bass/baritone
> voice (+ limited range) doesn't allow me to whoop.
> It sounds more like
> a croak. Most of my vocal impressions follow the
> range of Clarence
> Frogman Henry, Buster Brown, Tommy Tucker, Ray
> Charles, Fats Domino,
> and the like.
> smo-joe
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:21:54 -0700
> From: Joel Fritz <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Harp-L] from another list-----------------
> Country Hall
> 	salutes 'Harmonica Wizard']
> To: harpl <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> About time too.  He probably should have been in the

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=musicNews&storyID=2005-0

9-01T180845Z_01_HAR165317_RTRIDST_0_MUSIC-BAILEY-DC.XML

>  By Chris Morris
> LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - When country
> music pioneer DeFord Bailey
> is officially inducted into the Country Music Hall
> of Fame in the fall, he
> will become just the second black performer to join
> its august 95-member
> ranks, joining 2000 inductee Charley Pride.
>
> Bailey's name will enter the Country Hall's rolls
> November 15 during the
> Country Music Assn.'s awards ceremony at New York's
> Madison Square Garden.
> It will be close to 80 years after country's
> "Harmonica Wizard" and first

=== message truncated ===

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs