Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic Position Question

Dennis Alters wrote:
> I was wondering what is the position number and Greek name when
> the first scale degree or root not is the 1 draw bent. Checked my
> resource materials and could not find it.

Not to pick nits here, but there isn't really an equivalency between
root note and mode; you can pick them independently from each
other.  Starting on the Db on a C harp -- 1 draw bent down a
semitone -- is eighth position.

You could play in ionian mode:
1d- 1ob 2d-- 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3ob 4d-

or dorian mode:
1d- 1ob 2b 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3d 4d-

or mixolydian mode:
1d- 1ob 2d-- 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3d 4d-

and so on.  None of them look very intuitive.

-tim