Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

Vern Smith wrote:
> If I were to make an embossing tool, I would chuck a 6-inch length
> of 1/4" diameter steel rod in my drill press. While it was
> spinning, I would file the end into a hemispherical shape, then
> polish it with 600-grit sandpaper and then crocus cloth.

I personally prefer a cylindrical, rather than spheroid (or
hemispherical) shape for embossing.  A cylinder, with a slightly
smoothed edge, will allow the embossing to work closer to the tip of
the slot.  Embossing with a sphere can only get so close to the tip
before the ball starts to contact the tip of the slot.  I use a
stainless steel socket.  Of course, a cylinder has to aligned
properly with the slot.

I also prefer something somewhat larger than 3x the slot width.  The
socket I use is probably 10x the slot width.  I use fairly subtle
embossing on the harps I customize, having found that extremely
tight tolerances can result in an extremely bright and brassy tone.

-tim