Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 7:01 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

Hardness shouldn't have anything to do with it, as long as the reed plate is
harder than your embossing tool, which should be the case anyway.

Since you are trying to deform the plate, the tool should be harder than the plate. However, harder plates will be more difficult to emboss because more force will be required.

Any difficulty in embossing should come either from the shape of the reed slots
(making it hard to fit in your embossing tool)

Since all slots are essentially the same shape, one properly-shaped tool should do it for any slot. A ball-shaped tool about 3 times the width of the slot (about 1/4 inch in diameter) on a stout handle should work well. If I were to make an embossing tool, I would chuck a 6-inch length of 1/4" diameter steel rod in my drill press. While it was spinning, I would file the end into a hemispherical shape, then polish it with 600-grit sandpaper and then crocus cloth. An electric hand drill might work in place of the drill press.

or the texture/roughness of
the reed plate (it might be too smooth to rub off metal from your embossing
tool or to hold that metal after you emboss).

Embossing does not depend on a transfer of metal from the tool to the workpiece. The tool pushes the brass at the the edge out into the slot, making it narrower. The texture of the plate or the tool has little effect as long as both are fairly smooth. To get the idea, roll out some clay or biscuit dough into a sheet and cut a slot into it. Now push down with your thumb on the edge of the slot and watch the dough squish into the slot making it narrower.

Then again, I'm not really sure that I do my own embossing correctly, so
there's a good chance that I'm wrong on the above points.

If it works, then you have done it correctly. The worst hazard is in overdoing it and making the slots so narrow that they touch the reeds. Don't get too close to the rivet end of the reed or you will bend it and close the gap.

From what you have said, I guess that your efforts have been ineffective but
you have subjectively convinced yourself that the leakage is reduced. I hope this rather harsh analysis is wrong. I will be accused of being unkind.

I hope others will chime in.................

The chimes have rung!

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com