Fwd: [Harp-L] Pro Junior

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "samblancato"
<samblancato@xxxx> wrote:

Hi Folks,
I just bid on a Fender Pro-Junior on EBay and was wondering what
others here
might have in the way of experience with this amp.

<snip>

So is this little amp worth fooling with? What do you all think? I
know this
am is popular in the studio but that's with guitars and is a whole
other
story.   Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

Hey, Sam.  I have a Pro Jr and like it very much.  I think I have NOS
AY's in it now and JJ EL84's.  I also have a Weber alnico in it with
the "H" dustcap.  You don't need to spend the money on a Weber
speaker though to have the amp sound good -- it's just what I decided
to do.  And it sounds good with every one of my microphones.  With
some microphones, I can get the tone knob off Low, but as you say,
that's not a big deal.  Because the volume and drive are the same
knob, you've got to get to some volume before you get the tone/crunch
you might want (but it's only 15w, so that volume level isn't too
high -- especially if you are playing/practicing with a band -- you'd
need that volume level anyway probably) -- it's still a loud amp for
practicing around the house, but not impossible.  Some folks would
probably suggest getting a small off-name vintage tube amp for the
money; maybe so, I can't really speak to that.  The Pro Jr has a good
reputation among harp players for a current production small tube
amp.  Good luck.  --John K.