RE: [Harp-L] Irish/celtic harmonica

I am looking for suggestions on CD's to purchase so I can learn some irish tunes. Been playing blues for over 30 years and looking for a new direction. I have checked out Brendan Power's site. Not sure which CD to purchase. I need an easy one to start with. Any celtic/irish style harp players have a suggestion?

Thank you
Blunt White
Banker by day, bluesman by night

Well, *ahem,* I have made a CD of my own, "Blowing Through the Reeds," which contains mostly Irish tunes and which are all played with simple acoustic accompaniment. A lot of the tunes are very well-known ones. Nothing is played super-fast and you can hear all the notes (good and bad!). You can only get it from me and it's cheap, even if I have to post it to the US. The links below contain a review. Here are the tunes:

City Of Savannah - hornpipe (Frank Livingstone)
Lord Inchiquin (O?Carolan 1670-1738)
Mary Staunton?s/Brendan McMahon?s/The Flax In Bloom ? reels
Out On The Ocean/Blarney Pilgrim ? jigs
Eleanor Plunkett (O?Carolan 1670-1738)
Proudlock?s Hornpipe/Hesleyside Reel
Shores Of Lough Gowna/Trip To Durrow ? jig, reel
Farewell Rose Of England ? song (Martin Cole)
Ger The Rigger/Bill Sullivan?s ? polkas
i. Bridget Cruise ii.The Snowy Path (i. O?Carolan 1670-1738 ii. Mark Kelly) ? air, slip jig
Barrowburn Reel (Addie Harper)/Far From Home ? reels
The Butterfly ? slip jig
Terry ?Cuz? Teahan?s Favourite/Ballyvourney/Johnny Mickey?s ? polkas
The Dublin Reel/The Wind That Shakes The Barley - reels

You should also check out James Thurgood's CD "Handy Little Rig," Mat Walklate's "Harmonica and Flute" and Jean Sabot's "Harmoníca, Víolon." All the CDs I've mentioned are reviewed here: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/harmonicadiscography.htm Jean has got to be the harmonica world's best-kept secret. If Froggy is reading this he'll back me up!

Sorry to advertise but ....well, you know... ;-)

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm