[Harp-L] Re. Band arrangements

Jeff wrote:

< Because no one in the group seems to be a natural-born leader,
< I'm assuming that's a big part of our problem. But other successful groups
< must have found ways to overcome this.  Jeff >

And the Iceman answered:

< Someone has to take the leader role. A band can only sound like a
< band if there is a vision of what the band is to sound like. The Iceman  >

May be, but I know of a well-known exception, just for entertainment.

In 1981 my favorite comedian Danny Kaye conducted the New Yorker Philharmonic
Orchestra for the benefit of retired orchestra members. The first "tune" was
conducted by Zubin Meta, the conductor in chief, but then Danny took over the

baton for 2 hours for the ecstasy of the audience. The orchestra was almost
imcapable to play for laughing about Danny´s incredible gags.

Suddenly, Danny had the idea to discuss the often asked question whether a
conductor is necessary by all means or whether the musicians can manage the
performance quite alone.

Let´s check that, he said to the delighted audience, and started Ravel´s
"Bolero".
After some bars, he put down the baton, left the stage,started a conversation

with the audience, invited some ladies to make some bolero steps with him and

produced other gags. Of course, the orchestra played the "Bolero" in the
tried
and tested, effective and experienced way, whether with or without a
conductor.

Other examples of playing without a declared band leader or conductor are
string quartets or chamber orchestras.

Decades ago I heard a radio broadcast of the Berliner Philharmonic Orchestra
about the question how the conductor transmits his understanding of a musical
composition to the orchestra. One and the same composition played by the
philhamonics was repeatedly broadcasted, but everytime under different
conductors
as Furtwängler, Karajan and others. No question, one could clearly hear the
differences, i.e. the different "souls" of the conductors.

Well. Larry, do you agree  to change your statement a little?

< A band reflects the conductor´s vision of what the band has to sound like
< but can also play without him. >

In this connection it may be interesting to know that, at least in the case
of the
Berliner Philharmonics, the conductor is choosen by the orchestra members.

Finally, this is the reason why I had problems to play in a harmonica
orchestra
because I often had questions to the baton. (Could be from Harpie)

Siegfried