Re: [Harp-L] FLAC

"jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was wondering how many harp-l'ers are set up to play FLAC files?

i can play them using xmms on linux, but generally they don't remain in flac
format long on my hard drive.  they get burned to cd, mp3-ified for the jukebox,
or both.  i suspect that's typical for most people, except that itunes is more
likely to be used than a file server in the basement.

> The reason I ask is that the tone of harmonica (maybe more so than other
> instruments) really seems to suffer from lossy MP3 compression.

i've not encountered this.  i'd guess it depends a lot on bit rate,
cbr vs. vbr, and quality of encoder.  it probably also depends a
lot on the quality of the listener's aural system, and i'm sure
my own hearing's deficiencies factor into this.

> Now that I've got a Microtrack recorder capable of super
> hi-fi recordings,  I'd like to share them in FLAC format with harp-l'ers.

judging by the number of onlist and offlist questions i've gotten from folks
needing help decoding the archive.org shows, i'd say that flac (or shorten)
are not easy for mainstream (i.e. non-geek) users.  and that's likely to remain
the case until it becomes supported by, say, windows media player and itunes.

you might consider doing what archive.org does with derivative formats:
provide them in mp3 (vbr), flac, and whatever other formats.  that relieves
you audience of the burden of decoding if they just want to sample, but gives
those who are willing/able to expend the effort to get the higher quality
recordings.  i often listen to mp3 format songs of a band or show i'm
not sure i want, then pull down the flacs once i've decided.

> FLAC has become the de facto standard for "tapers" of live shows.

indeed.  i've tended to use shorten for the archive.org shows, out
of habit or laziness, but i expect that'll change shortly.  it's definitely
becoming deprecated.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?