Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Band arrangements

We started by bringing 15 songs each that we really
wanted to learn.  We listened and narrowed it down to
groups of ten.  Then we all learned the first set of
ten covers on our own then as a band.

Once we could play the version of the cover we had
chosen, then we started adding our own things.  It
took  months to get up to a whole night, but even at
our first gig we were pretty tight and there weren't
any huge mistakes.

If something just isn't working then we say that and
there are no hard feelings.

A lot of what we do is improvised, so sometimes solos
are in different spots, etc.  Nobody tells the other
what to play for solos.  It is pretty much go with the
moment in a very successful way.  Having a large
background with each song makes that a lot easier to
get a way with.

When we practice, we go for perfect arrangments.
Hitting the intros, bridges, etc. is the main thing
and we just jam out the solos till people feel
prepared or good about the song.

We have been playing more and more so practice time is
tight and always split half on originals and half on
covers.  We do most our writing outside of practice.

In terms of gigs, I am the ringer leader because I am
also the singer and that's just what we decided.  The
guitar writes the sets and I manage them.  I usually
call out changes, solos, and endings.

That way four guys aren't doing different things.  It
is actually pretty fun even though I am the worst
musician in the band.

--- mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tobin,
> Jeff" <jtobin@xxxx> wrote:
>

> If you play in a band, what process do you go thru
> to learn new
> material?  How do you work out arrangements?  Does
> everyone listen to
> agreed-upon songs at home and work out their
> individual parts, or do you
> do it together?  Is one person the
> arranger/conductor?  Or do you
> another approach that works?  Recently, some of us
> from our local
> Wednesday nite blues jam got together to form a
> band.  But I'm finding,
> in practice, there seems to be no real direction in
> working out parts,
> and our music sounds as loose as our open jams.
> Because no one in the
> group seems to be a natural-born leader, I'm
> assuming that's a big part
> of our problem.  But other successful groups must
> have found ways to
> overcome this.  Any suggestions from you band
> members?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

> --- End forwarded message ---