Re: [Harp-L] RP200

Brad Capper wrote:
<Regarding Digitech RP200, Just want to know why this particular one for
<harp
<and not the RP300 or RP80 etc, as there are
<so many different models.
<Does the RP200 better suit the harp????

The key functional feature of the RP200 that distinguishes it from other
RPs is the expression pedal, which is not present on the RP50 and
RP100.  The pedal is present on the RP80, RP300 and RPx400, so those are
well worth considering.  However, the RP80 offers somewhat less
fine-tuned control over various sound parameters.  This could be a real
issue if you wind up creating an otherwise cool sound that is on the
verge of feedback, and you can't get the gain or EQ settings into
exactly the right place.

At $US149 new and less than $US100 used, the RP200 is the lowest-cost
pedal offered by Digitech that offers both the pedal and the
fine-grained control, so is a good choice for budget-conscious players.
The RP300 offers slightly more control over effects for about $50 more,
but I don't think the difference is worth paying for where harp is
concerned. If you want a step up, I do think the RPx400 is the next
place to go.  These can be found used in very good condition for $200,
and for the extra money you get more sound parameters (e.g. more range
on the pitch shifter), an XLR mic input, and a USB connection to the
computer, so you can modify and store your sound settings in software.
That would allow you to maintain a full set of presets for blues, one
for rock, one for folk, etc., etc. and swap them in and out as necessary
in a matter of minutes when the occasion demands.  If I were making my
first purchase right now, I might very well go for the RPx400.

By the way, I played with a Digitech GNX1 -- a much more advanced amp
modeling device, with two amp modeling engines that can be blended in a
single sound -- at a store not long ago, and some of the sounds in that
thing were mind-blowing.  I'd be tempted to get one, but I really don't
have enough time in my life to master another complex device operating
system, and the RP200 works very well for me.

One more thing: I'm now following the RP200 with an Akai phase shifter
and Boss BF2 flanger.  Why not?  More big.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com