[Harp-L] RE: Update about that harp kid invited on stage with Jason Ricci

I just had to pipe in after reading Catherine's post.

I got to meet Zach at the Del Mar Jam Camp last
weekend, and it was a blast to see someone so young
working so hard and sounding so good.  At the final
night's concert, he got up there with several
instructors including Michael Peloquin, Jason Ricci
and Nico "Froggy" Fouquet to belt out a rocking
version of the "I Can't Turn You Loose" vamp the Blue
Brothers always used as their intro.  It was like a
horn section, only all harps, with young Zack blowing
away in the middle of it all.  Not bad company for a
kid starting out on his instrument.  He'll be an
instructor at Jam Camp in no time.  A number of us
"older folks" were envious at what a great head start
he was getting.

The Jam Camp itself was a fantastic experience, and I
learned tons in three days of my first actual
harmonica lessons after years of playing.  Seeing as I
started first thing with a one-on-one from Jason
Ricci, then absorbed tons of knowledge and music from
all the great players and my fellow students, and then
wrapped it up by arranging to continue lessons with
the Mighty Mr. Peloquin here in Oakland, I came away
more than glad I showed up.

Two days later I was jamming with friends and doing it
in 3rd position for the first time.  Just having had
Froggy show me what he could do on only holes 4,5, and
6 had clicked a light on in my head about 3rd
Position.  While I have tons left to learn, I feel
like I'm taking a strong first step.

So I recommend Jon Gindick's Jam Camps to anyone
interested.  It's a great supportive atmosphere for
any skill level, and all these top-notch players were
more than happy to help any one out with any question,
now matter how basic.   The way they all shared not
just their knowledge, but their passion for the music
was extremely inspiring.  (I will never forget how
Froggy got the whole room strutting around, blowing
and whooping their heads off) They even carried it so
far as to join students too nervous to get up on their
own at the final night's jam concert, throwing
together duets and such on the spot.  It was a blast
watching Jason Ricci do a sultry version of "I'm Just
a Playboy" with Genoa, a woman student who wiggled him
all over the stage when he was singing and she wasn't
playing.

All in all, great stuff.  I'm more fired up to play
and learn than ever.  And young "Cadillac" Zach just
rocked.

--
Colin

http://www.gindick.com/Engine/Shopping/catalog.asp?store=6&category=256