[Harp-L] tuning and harmonicas

Back in the days before the all-invasive portable electric tuner I used to "cheat" on the guitar players by giving them an  E played on the 2 blow on a C harp.

At the time I didn't know why but now, thanks to Harp-l, I do, even if it's too late.

I got my comeuppance in the '70's when I played with a pianist for a T.V. show in Stuttgart, Germany.

>From the beginning it was nothing but tuning problems. The first act played baroque music on "Serpents" and other original instruments tuned to the so called "old English A" of, if my memory serves me well, 425Htz.

The studio musicians new of this & stayed well out of the way.

The following act was us.

Sound check - 1st song in A - take out my D harp - flat as a pancake! - no not the 4 nor the 5 draw but the whole instrument !

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the local musicos giggling in the corner, so over I go to find out what's going on.

The answer? Apparently Stuttgart had never accepted the "Universal A" convention so the piano was tuned to either 445 or 448 ( maybe Ludo can correct me on this).

Anyway, my only solution was to take an Eb and try to bend down each note!

It was not a great success and, happily, I've never been asked to do it again.

This leaves me with 2 ( burning ) questions:

1) When, where and between whom was the decision taken that A=440Htz. ?
2) What was Richter's first name ? (Please don't answer Paddy)

Thanks in advance
Mox