[Harp-L] My Reed Tuning - Was / Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 26, Issue 60

Joris sez :

Excerpt , " It is a misunderstanding that pianos can only be tuned in equal temperament. "

regards,

Joris.

Hurricane sez :

Hello Joris , cool post .

I have heard that the piano is perfectly tuned " out of tune " by many really great musicians over the years and by really old timer(s) piano tuners , several in particular ( professional piano tuners the big guys hired to tune their pianos here in Palm Springs southern California like " Liberace's & Elvis's " and many other big time star's pianos who reside here during the " Good Season " ) used only tuning forks , I can not express just how old these guys were , I'm  talking old as water and twice as weak :) but , I respected them and was in awe of them then and still now am .

One music store owner I worked for used a strobe meter and always said of these old guys :

" They can tune a piano better than I can "

to any one who balked at his service charge to tune their piano , and then next stated :

" I can give you their phone #'s but, they charge more than double what I do "

 . he got a lot of business :)

As for myself to retune a reed I used first a cheapo Yahama Portasound in the 70's ( a real old one , tiny with maybe 3 octives , it was useless for anything else ) , now I use the tone generator of my QY10 Yamaha sequencer I bought in 1993/4 ? . I nail it every time this way .

- It's no biggie at all -

You " just " to learn how to  " listen " .

I have a little electronic chromatic Seiko guitar quartz type tuner , I re check to see how close I am , and when I'm done doing it by ear using the tone generator from my QY10 Yamaha sequencer I am done and the guitar tuner proves it to me :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx