Re: [Harp-L] My two cents

thanks, Dave.  I missed the message with the spread sheet link yesterday, got it now.   Looks heavy and steeped in minute detail and I do appreciate it.

JIm.
www.mcmule.com

From: "James Sterett" <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx>
> In regard to the cents, would you explain a bit further... how is a cent
> calculated in the A4XX tuning scheme?  Meaning, if A442 = +08, what does
> +02 equal? etc.  Also, does A440 always = +00?

I'm sure that Tim will answer, but if you look at the spreadsheet that I
sent the link for yesterday you can see the answer quite clearly. A cent is
1/100 of the frequency change of a semitone, so at 440 Hz one cent is
approximately 1/4 of a Hz or 4 cents per Hz. At 220 Hz one cent is
approximately 1/8 of a Hz or 8 cents per Hz and at 880 Hz one cent is
approximately 1/2 of a Hz or 2 cents per Hz.

Since A442 is a 2 Hz change from 440 it's +8 cents and +02 cents would be
440.5 Hz. This is all assuming an A=440 Hz reference. A change of reference
from A=440 Hz to A=442 Hz does change things slightly. At the reference the
value of 1 cent changes by about -0.001 Hz.

My 2 cents. :0)

Peace and music,
Dave