To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:05 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Duster Bennett

Duster Bennett was a wonderful harp player... one of the best ever Brits IMHO. I had the pleasure of seeing him live in the late 60s. He did indeed play one-man-band style as Winslow rightly says... usually rack harp, guitar, hi-hat and bass drum. hNever saw him use a stomp box but that's not to say he didn't. He also played some fine chromatic blues. He died in a car crash in March 1976 driving home from a gig with Memphis Slim - appears to have fallen asleep at the wheel. Great loss.

As well as his harp playing he also wrote some fine songs... most
particularly Jumping at Shadows which Peter Green went on to record with
Fleetwood Mac. It's a wonderful haunting (and in Green's case eerily
prophetic) song.

He only released two albums but there are also a number of CDs of
previously unreleased material around. In the UK you'll find them at Red
Lick Records (www.redlick.co.uk) - elsewhere try Amazon

Jim