Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Re: triplets

The first thing I play whenever I practice is the
blues scale from top to bottom is triplets.  I do this
in both first, second, and third positions.  There's a
lot of bends and ob's so it works really well for
getting warmed up.  Most my ornamentaions are slides
or triplets when I play a song.

Most of Popper's stuff is based off of triplet
patterns.

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jonathan
> Metts"
> <jonathan@xxxx> wrote:
>
> "Jason Ricci employs triplets as a strategy also.
> It's a really good way
> to string together cohesive fast runs on harmonica.
> There are a lot of
> things that are physically difficult to do on
> harmonica, fast chromatic
> runs and a lot of chords for instance but triplets
> are easier on
> harmonica than they are on many other instruments.
> fjm"
>
> If triplets are what I think they are (sorry, I'm
> still working on my
> theory), then Dylan used them in a simple but
> effective way in a lot
> of his early work.  Usually on a single hole, he'd
> blow, draw, blow
> very fast in an otherwise slow solo.  It's a pretty
> easy technique to
> learn, and if you want to get that Dylan harp sound,
> it'll put you
> well on your way.  It also helps to learn to play
> two holes at a time,
> including on bends, which can be a real challenge if
> you're set in
> your habit of playing clean single notes.  (Dylan
> could definitely
> --DEFINITELY-- play clean single notes, but he often
> elected not to in
> his early harp playing.  He plays more single note
> style these days.)
>
> I think what JP and JR do is the same idea but
> played across two or
> three holes, which requires more skill to hit
> cleanly.  Plus you have
> to know a lot about scales to do it musically.
>
> Jonathan Metts
>
> --- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals