  From: MundHarp@xxxxxxx<mailto:MundHarp@xxxxxxx>
  To: turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:25 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just a thought.....

  Just like the great harmonicist, Richard Hunter, I too carry an extensive set
  of harps...
  2 x 12 (a double set) of diatonics, All Hohner MS and mostly "Dannecker
  Blues" but with "Blues Harp" cover plates. a couple of  old 12 hole "Echo Vampers"
  in low D and low F.
  I also have my wonderful ILUS "Renaissance" Chrom in "c" plus a full set of
  12 keys "270" Super Chromonica Chromatics, plus a "tenor c" 270...
  I do not use "altered" tunings to any extent... I have enough trouble
  remembering where the notes are with "regular" tunings! :-)
  I use harmonicas with Hohner reed plates. There are other good instruments
  that I have tried, but I like Hohner the best.
  If I was to "start again" I might go for a set of CX-12 Chromatics rather
  than 270s... Simply because of the "lip and tong friendly"  CX-12 mouthpiece...
  But I still love my 270's...
  Why carry a double set of diatonics? Well, I find that short harps jam and go
  out of tune OFTEN... So if the diatonic goes down in the middle of a tune, I
  just change harps. With chromatics, it is not so important to have a spare in
  the same key, when a harp fails in the middle of a tune... It is easy to
  go..say from a "c" chrom to a Bb or an "f"... I find it easier to play a chrom
  chromataicaly!
  It has taken me years and years to build up my working set of harmonicas; As
  a pro harmonica player, a long time ago I decided NEVER to purchase poor
  equipment. My harps are the best that I can obtain. You don't need to have great
  instruments to creat a wonderful sound but it really really helps!
  Best wishes
  John Walden
  London
  England