RE: [Harp-l] Telluride Acoustic Blues Camp - accompaniment'- it really works?

hey up,

i had no idea about this...

>>> MLeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 13/10/2005 9:32 >>>  - with big snips ....
  So when Grant
started passing out worksheets with I's, IV's, and V's and musical notes
written all over them, I confess that I felt a bit of trepidation.  But not
for long.  I soon discovered that Grant had, in a special way I'd never seen
before, distilled the vast topic of music theory into the essence of what a
blues harper needs to know.  What he taught us was a way to "intelligently"
construct the notes of various bass lines of the I, IV, and V chords so
common in blues.  In essence, given a basic blues bass line in the I chord,
Grant showed how to determine what the relative notes should be in the IV
and V chords.  He further demonstrated and taught us to use these bass lines
as self-accompaniment in a solo setting or when accompanying another player'
s solo.

a local music store had an honest to god fire-sale (everything really did burn down) and I got real cheap a book on Building Walking Bass Lines (Ed Klinman(??) - not sure on that) - purely to use the backing cd for practice tracks.

its got a great selection of blues variation tracks - but the writer was not allowed to say what the actual songs were - grrrr --

the whole book goes on and on and on about this stuff that michelle mentions .... and it gets harder and harder with each turning page (who do they expect to buy these things? i never knew bass players could read)... and covering chromatic changes too - ulp.

Is it any benefit to work through these exercises on harmonica  or would that be just some namby pamby jazz style scooby doowop doo doo wop bop formalistic exercise - ?

it didn't look rocket science difficult - just requiring lots of time, lots and lots of repetition and dedication and focussed practice and a steadfast work ethic - enuff to put me right off and grab a beer.

hell, i just realised would have to transpose every bloody page to make it work... i think they are either in C or that goddawful F - whats with these guys?

wheres that "learn to play a harp in 2 days book?" - thats the real ticket

each time  yu open the book yu get this great hellfire aroma - mmm smoky.

crowley.