Subject: [Harp-L] Re: How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Extinction

Geez --so many great Harp-L posts I want to respond to, so just have to
start with the latest first and work my way back.... I'm still recuperating from
my 3-week hosting of Froggy <VBG> (kidding!)

Bobbie writes in response to Cara's great post (somewhat  snipped):

"Something I'd really love for SPAH to do is coincide our  festival sometimes
with other such instrumental festivals, like the Over The  Water, or maybe
the budding [3rd year last month] Montreal Recorder Fest, or  a fiddle fest,
banjo fest, guitar fest, or the International Tuba Festival  also held in
August?  [Ok... maybe not the tuba fest.]  :)   But I think it would be cool
to do something like that and schedule some  events combining the
instruments together.  It would be another way to  showcase the musical
strengths and diversity of harmonicas to musicians of  other instruments,
and encourage harmonicists to explore new territories  playing with other
instrumentalists."

Eliz:  .....Bobbie:  I think that's a phenomenal idea.   Something
progressive and fun and along the lines of what they've been doing in  West Virginia
(where I really wish I had managed to attend).  Throw some  saxophones in and I'm
there!

BG:  "Thanks, Cara, for the compliment, but also, as usual,  for making some
of my
points more clearly and with far fewer words than I  do!  [It's a curse, I
tell ya!]  ;)  One other thing you  touched on in your post is something
I've often thought  about...

>That the harmonica is easy to learn to play is a strength  worth
>exploiting, but it is hard to master (a  challenge).
<...>
>That is why, through all adversity, the  harmonica remains popular
>today. Anyone can try it, and skill cannot be  denied, regardless
>on what instrument it is demonstrated.

Many  people, harp players and nonplayers alike, seem to think the low-cost
aspect  of the instrument, which no doubt largely accounts for the virtually
universal access to harmonicas, supports the prevalent attitude that a
harmonica is less worthy than other instruments, that it can't be taken
seriously, because any simpleton can get ahold of one and make noises
roughly sounding like music.  And as you say, Cara, this IS basically  true,
but it is also a non sequitur.  Many masterful musicians have  taken this
common instrument to uncommon musical heights.

Eliz:....Agree, and I'd add that Cara is definitely one of those who've  done
just that.

BG:  "It's that quirky little aspect about the  instrument that makes me
rather
proud it is just that... a cheap, toylike  contraption,

Eliz:  wait a minute -- let's not mention "cheap" unless you have a
Renaissance you want to sell me that I can afford? <G>)

"so easily affordable, diatonic OR chromatic, that it is the ideal device
for
introducing people, of ALL ages, to the joys of making music!  How  freakin'
cool is THAT??  I love it!

But, it likewise means there  is this stealth factor about a harp that is
devilishly neat, as well... it  slyly draws you in via the seduction of
being able to play real music, then  hooks you when you discover the vast
range of hidden tones, tricks, and  sheer vocalizing variety that makes it
one of the most versatile musical  instruments aside from the human
voice!  No wonder we harmonica players  seem a little odd sometimes to
folks... we've found out how powerful the  instrument is and can't help
ourselves for loving it... it's an addiction,  is what it is!!  :)

Eliz:  some really good points here.

BG:  "Finally, tho',  there was this salient statement:

>The only thing we really need to do  for the harmonica,
>regardless of model, is present it in the very best  light
>we can and demonstrate to the world what it can do  when
>played by a talented, skilled musician.

That's it in a  nutshell.  Ok, I'm afraid I'll never be that sort of
vanguard for the  harmonica; I frankly do not practice enough to ever get
there."

Eliz:  Actually Bobbie -- I was so pleasantly surprised to  hear you sitting
in on and playing at one of the Blues Jams at SPAH!   You more than held your
own with some of the best Blues players around, so don't  downplay your
abilities.  It takes real courage to get up there (I  doubt I'll ever have it), but
that is the curse of harmonica players...no one  seems to believe they're ever
"quite good enough".

BG:  "But, I do enjoy promoting the instrument, and playing it at my  own
modest level of skill, because I just love it, I don't know why... guess
it's just that hook's got into me, too, and I'm addicted.

But, it's a  good addiction.  ;)

As for Cara, I've heard her a bunch, and I have  to say I think she's been
hopelessly incurable for quite some time now...  lucky for us!!
Bobbie
Certified Member of Harmonicas Anonymous"

Elizabeth:  Amen to all of the above!