Re: [Harp-L] Re: Overblow Squeals

At 02:03 PM 10/12/2005, Paul Bowering wrote:
>Just a mini poll for all those who regularly employ
>overblows. What method do you use to stabilize the
>reed and why?

I'd like to remind of something...

This squealing noise is produced not just during overbends, but during regular bends as well, because the noise comes from the closing reed in the chamber, which would be the silenced reed in an overblow or overdraw, or the normal bending reed in a blowbend or drawbend.

>1) Wax / Nail polish - some say there is the added
>benefit of sealing that little air gap between the
>reed's root and the plates but does it dampen the
>reed's vibration?

I would say all of the known "fixes" for this problem dampen the vibration to some degree, and to me, the turbotape does it the most, which may also be why it seems to be the most effective method of stopping the abnormal squealing noise. But, there is, to me anyway, a faintly noticeable dulling of the reed's natural ring using turbotape.

As the one who came up with the wax fix for reed squeals, I do tend to acknowledge it's more tricky to apply and of course doesn't behave as well in hot climates. What I did like about it is how purposely applying heat, from a lit match held close above the tiny wax blob causes it to run and seep under the reed and/or pad creating that tiny cushioned seal. Still, I'm not convinced any of these fixes are more than just temporary bandaids for what is really still a geometrical or mechanical design flaw that can be addressed by some as yet unknown adjustment in the reed profile, reed fixing, slot design, or whatever.

And, at 06:16 PM 10/12/2005, ben bouman wrote:
>Seydel is now producing an aluminium comb where they have done
>this in the milling process ... very, very comfortable.

Yes, the Favorit is a pretty nice harp. I'm curious how the nickel silver reedplates against aluminum comb and with brass reeds is going to affect or be affected by the other dissimilar metals.

>And.... there is more sensational news coming from Seydel in
>the near future which will upset a llot of people!!

You may just be right... ;)

[They've already hired Michael Timler away from HarpOnline.com, who has been replaced by Tony Ramos, BTW.]

Keep a keen eye on Seydel...

Bobbie