[Harp-L] Rocky Mtn Harpfest [long]

Hello, harp-l?ers.  My head is still spinning after the Mile High Harmonica
Club somehow pulled a rabbit from its collective hat and made the 2nd Rocky
Mountain Harmonica Festival even better than the first.

Of course a big part of their secret was the extraordinarily high caliber of
the entertainment they lined up for us.  The Harmonica Masters (Chris Bauer,
Frank Warner, Bud Boblink) headlined.  Peter ?Madcat? Ruth and P.T. Gazell
added their special brands of diatonic mastery.  The Harpers Bizarre?the
affable Marv, Roger, and Mark Monroe along with their buddy Jack Ely?lit up
the stage with their bright smiles, senses of humor, and endless catalog of
songs.   Local favorite Al Chesis and Mile High?s own Ken ?Mojo Red?
Mergentime rounded out the official entertainment roster with their exciting
takes on blues harpology.  Most of the entertainers were scheduled for more
than one performance so there was ample opportunity to enjoy their
virtuosity.  And, of course, the entertainment didn?t end when the
performers leave the stage.  The ?Monroe Gang? sees to that with their
impromptu ?hootenanny?s? in the hallways.  Everyone joins in for a fine time
playing together.  And, the best part for me is the way all the world-class
entertainers are so approachable for questions and tips.  These harmonica
gatherings are a gas from the first moment to the last.

The way the Mile High Harmonica Club designs the festival schedule to
maximize opportunities to meet and learn from the experts is really
terrific.  There are both individual ?classes? and group ?roundtables? in
which the attendees can learn from and even get an opportunity to sit down
with the performers and expert players to ask questions and get immediate
feedback.  As far as I can tell there are no ?trade? secrets amongst
harpers.  I?ve been to many a trade show and convention in other fields but
these harmonica gatherings have to be the most supportive, constructive
environments I?ve witnessed.  This was only my second "harp gathering" but
it is truly moving and a pleasure to be even a small part of it.

Before I mention the workshops, I should say a word or two about the
individual performers.  Starting with the Harmonica Masters, the
entertainment was top-notch.  Chris Bauer demonstrated an almost
unbelievable level of skill on the 12-hole chromatic (Hohner?s Hard-Bopper
to be exact).  Equally unbelievable were Boblink's and Warner?s skill at not
only keeping up with him, but providing a rich and rhythmic soundscape to
support Chris? masterful leads.  My jaw was left hanging with each number
these players performed.  ~Then~ they played the ?William Tell Overture.?
It?s a wonder, especially at 5,000 some feet above sea level, that Chris
didn?t need to be revived, or that Bud and Frank hadn?t knocked all their
front teeth out by the song?s end!  Simply astonishing.

To tell the truth, the real reason I wanted to attend this year was Madcat.
I lived in Ann Arbor for 20 years and enjoyed enough Madcat performances to
rise to the level of a true fan.  (Unfortunately for me, this was ~before~ I
took up the harmonica.  One of my life?s great ironies!)  Since Madcat
rarely makes an appearance in the Rockies I was particularly primed to see
him.  Well, I got to see plenty of Madcat in his acts and his classes and
workshops and I must say he is as fun and as big a pleasure sitting and
talking harp as he is on stage.  The guy makes you smile just being in the
same room with him.  It was such a joy seeing and talking to him for the
first time as a harp player (mind you, I use that term with great
reservation while I am speaking about Madcat).  As pure and nice a gentleman
as they come, I say long live Madcat!

P.T. Gazell.  I knew the name and the reputation as a bluegrass and country
harp master.  I was excited at the prospect of seeing P.T. perform and
having the opportunity to ?pick his brain? a bit.  But I was not prepared
for the kindness and generosity of the man or his current style of music and
artistic direction.  P.T. calls it ?swing blues,? and it is a pretty
dramatic stylistic departure from the P.T. you may have heard in the past.
With the same superb musicianship you have come to expect, his new CD,
?Swingin? Easy, Hittin? Hard? is nothing short of a masterpiece.  And what?s
particularly exciting from a harper?s perspective, he?s playing
chromatically on a diatonic harp!  Hah, you say, ?P.T.?s jumped on the
overblow wagon.?  Nope.  He?s using valved diatonics in a marvelously
musical and melodic way with a skill and artistry that simply knocked me off
me feet.  I bet I?ve listened to my copy of P.T.?s new CD 20 times and I?ve
only had it a few days.  Simply put, it is a MUST HAVE CD for any harp
player.  What was equally cool as his music was P.T.?s willingness to share
his enthusiasm and knowledge about playing a valved diatonic.   As it turns
out, I have been enjoying playing a valved diatonic of late, so I was pretty
well primed to learn how a true master does it, and P.T. was exceedingly
generous in sharing his deep knowledge.  Suffice it to say I am in the
process of valving a whole set of diatonics!  I tell ya what, P.T. Gazell is
the kind of musician where you feel more ?musical? after simply being in his
presence for a little while.  I?m gonna be following this guy like a hawk!

I must say that the pleasant surprise of the festival for me was seeing our
own Mojo Red play his set backed only by a guitar player.  Having only heard
Ken play once previously, I knew he had the chops to more than hold his own
in a band.  I?d never heard him play in front of just a guitar player,
though, and I must say that IMO, that is where Ken really shines.  I have to
set the stage for you to truly appreciate the moment.  Ken was the last act
of the evening, following Al Chesis (who rendered a fine performance hisse?
f, as usual), the jovial Harpers Bizarre, and an amazing and virtuostic solo
performance by Bud Boblink.  The crowd had been spoiled rotten and they all
knew it.  I?m sure that fact wasn?t lost on Ken, either.  But, like a
seasoned pro, Mojo stepped up and hit ball after ball clean outa the park!
Terrific bluesharpmanship, to be sure, but the real plum was his singing!
The cat let ?er rip and really nailed song after song.  I didn?t even know
he could sing!  My heart was flying high for Ken that night, watching him
receive all those kudos after bringing the house to their feet.  I wish y?
all coulda been there.  Hooray for Ken!

Amongst the smorgasbord of workshop titles were: ?Playing in Harmonica
Groups,? ?Beginning Harmonica,? ?Playing Double Harps,? ?Solo Diatonic,
Rhythm Harp, and Train Tricks,? Playing Chords On Chromatics,? ?It?s All
About Tone,? Harmonica Roundtables,? ?Using Tapes And CD?s for Backup On
Solo Gigs,? and so on.  Each was informative and fun.  I discovered a new
phenomenon, for me anyway.  I call it the ?Paul Davies sign.?  When you see
a harper walking away from a workshop with a bit of a vacant stare and a
slight grin, nodding in a knowing way, you know they have just left one of
Paul?s workshops.  Paul is a great harper and an equally great teacher.  I
saw many a harper walking down the hall showing that ?Paul Davies sign.?  I
know 'cuz I get that same look myself each time I attend one of Paul's
workshops!

I?m sorry I can?t say more about all the chromatic workshops.  It?s just
that I have had my ?blinders? on diatonic harmonicas lately.  Maybe next
time I?ll make a better effort to attend the chromatic workshops.  Oh well,
not if Madcat or P.T. are there.  ;^)

Many thanks and kudos to the Mile Hi Harmonica Club.  I can?t wait ?till
next year when SPAH will be in Denver!

Michelle