Re: [Harp-L] intonation

Repeating the advice of a previous poster, "You can fine-tune a slightly
flat reed with the Lee Oskar tool-kit quite
easily if you follow the instructions."

Support the reed with the shim. To lower the pitch, scratch it (file it)
near the base of the reed -- close to the rivet. Note that it is in general
easier to lower the pitch of a reed than raise the pitch. If it is only
slightly sharp, you will need to scratch it only very slightly. If you go
too flat, you compensate by filing close to the tip of the reed. If you get
frustrated, take a break.

Even taking your time and being very cautious, you should be able to do this
in a quarter of an hour first time out. Not a huge investment of time.

John

Oops-should have used the tuner first-turns out the 7 blow is actually
sharp. The others are in tune, or very slightly low, if I don't keep the
emb. up. So-Should I fuss with the 7 to get it lower, or try to compensate
with the emb? If one octave is a little low, and the other is a little high,
makes it tough to do-can this be done with practice?

Thanks again,

Bill