RE: [Harp-L] Learn to play in 2 days???

"charlie zevon" <chaszev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Help, I volunteered to play with my church band this Sunday and I need

> learn the harp fast.  I'm not a harmonica player (trumpet and sax are
my
> main instruments), but I've always liked the sound. So I'm looking for
quick
> pointers.

In the U2 song desire, you can get away with a simple pattern of chords,
drawn and blown in a decending pattern. If you have NEVER played a
harmonica this "riff" is certainly simple enough for a complete novice.

If you are technically savvy, you can get a version of the song in an
mp3 file format, download a program called "amazing slow downer", or
install a plug-in for windows media player, called chronotron. This will
slow down the song, and remain at pitch. Practice this one riff (rinse
repeat, etc.)

If I were you, and even for myself, by the way, I'd focus on that
chordal riff (which I think is at the end of the tune overall) - if you
learn this one chop, it's a signature of the tune, and you can likely do
it very convincingly.

It's a bit late to try this next suggestion, although, I may be willing
to - but perhaps some of our less incredulous readers can help you with
no more than a 30 minute phone call.