[Harp-L] Re: Demise of the Chromatic?

This is a reply to J. Elaine Miller's proposition to change the  chromatic's
name to give it more respect in the music world, thus saving it from
extinction. I've posted a long reply at Slidemeister, so this will be  short.

I disagree with her opinions. We don't need a name change, we need a mind
change. Inanimate objects don't receive respect. People receive respect.  If
people want respect, we earn it. To think that changing the  chromatic's name
will make it more respectable is silly.
A name change won't do that, and it's not necessary. We already have
sufficient names,  chromatic and diatonic.

If we want respect for the chromatic, don't change it's name, change your
mind set. Do we respect TVs or computers or pencils? We should respect the
harmonica's makers' craftsmanship; the performers' expertise and musicianship;
the publishers' clear descriptions of the harmonica types; and the composers'
creativity. The cold slab of tin, brass wood and/or plastic asks for no
respect.

I'm a harp player who plays all types of harmonicas, and I've discovered
that there isn't a "superior harmonica," as Miller calls the chromatic. Every
harmonica type has its niche, and every type of harmonica has its strengths and
weaknesses. Through 36 years of trial and error, I've concluded that all
harmonica types are equal, there are no superior types, but some harmonicas are
better than others for certain applications.

I once read an ad for a harmonica. It said, "If you can breathe, you can
play harmonica."
Harmonicas in general, and chromatics in particular, will never become
extinct as long as
we can breathe, and as long as we play them. Thanks for reading my opinion.
Howlin' John.