Re: [Harp-L] Small amp

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
<I just did  quite a bit of research online, re the Harp Commander and
<the Digitech RP series.  Btw, G's "Harp On!" site is an excellent
<resource.  Can someone please define patch and tell how it's
<implimented?

The term "patch" refers to the settings used to produce a specific sound
on a specific instrument.  The term goes back to the days when
electronic instrument sounds were configured with small physical "patch
cords" that plugged into open jacks on the instrument's front panel to
change the path of the audio signal through various processors.
(Similarly, the term "bus" on a mixer goes back to the days when the
output jacks were all manufactured by a company named Buss -- so you
literally plugged a piece of outboard gear into the Buss.)

Nobody uses physical patch cords anymore -- and that's a relief -- but
the term remains.  So when we refer to a "patch" now, we just mean a
specific group of settings -- for EQ, delay, reverb, amp model, etc.,
etc. -- that produces a certain sound on a certain device. The specific
types of settings that are available depend on the device in question.
The Holmes Harp Commander only has a few controls; the Digitech RP
series pedals can do compression, amp modeling, cabinet modeling, EQ,
delay, reverb, and one other effect simultaneously, with any one of the
related settings under footpedal control, so the number of settings
involved in a  single patch for that kind of device can be lengthy.

Regards, Richard Hunter