Re: [Harp-L] S.F. Bay Area Blues

Dan wrote:
Bay area Harp-L'ers,

I'm interviewing next Wed in Fremont, CA. I will be there Tues and Wed nights. The web shows RJ Micho hosting a jam on Tuesdays. There's also one on Wed. at "Pat's" in Oakland.

I'd like to check out the blues scene as well as the area, and this company while i'm there. Any advice/suggestions any of you Bay area folks could give would be great. For example: If these jams are friendly to outsiders, or if you need to be in the know... what time to get to these jams, and who to talk to first... you know, basic blues jam navigational points.

Thanks,

Dan G.

For sure go to R. J. Mischo's jam at the Mojo Lounge. A lot of pro players and a friendly atmosphere. You sign up, you get to play. The house band, which varies, generally includes some of the best Bay Area blues players including guitarist Kid Anderson and drummer June Core both from Charlie Musselwhite's band. Both of them are worth seeing even if harp is your primary interest. There's no cover and it can be a better blues show than most anything in the Bay Area.

The jam at Pat's in Oakland is hosted by Birdlegg, a local harp player who is strongly influenced by SBWII. He's a very nice guy and a dynamic performer. He works hard to get everybody on the list up to play. Again you're likely to see some pro players.

Local clubs worth checking out include The Saloon and Lou's, both in SF.

For a pretty complete calendar of local blues events check out the Yahoo Bay Area Blues group.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell