RE: [Harp-L] martial arts, music theory, pop music, and harmonica.

my 2 cents in the similarity of harp playing and martial arts (or,
exercise with discipline and respect) - learn to relax, learn to
breathe, balance your physical body. Be the force of the music.

I think that the muscle memory is not just limited to the skull area,
unless you are referring to the brain as the most important aspect of
the "zen of harping". It's not just the cavity area of the mouth, the
throat and the diaphragm. It's for me, wholistic. One can, when rythym
is applied, consider the entire body as part of your harmonica playing.
Think of the body as a unit. The mind is over this matter too. Martial
arts, meditation - these things can apply positively for you, when you
stand up in front of a crowd, or jam with your buddies. Remember some of
the first rules of these Eastern philosophies when your playing, and you
may lose that anxiety that comes with performance.

When I really find what I call the groove, it's a trance state that I
have achieved. This for me, comes wholly from relaxing the entire body,
(within reason of course) relaxing the mind, (mentioned as "not
thinking" by others) and entering the state where my breathing takes me
into a state similar to the effects of when I have been meditating.

So what I learned as a youth by practicing martial arts, and what I
learned later in life with pracitcing meditation, has ended up being a
part of my harp playing life. This is why I think it all helps. One can
go far musically with the harmonica; practicing with discipline,
respect, relaxation and dedication. Once these aspects come naturally in
your life, you may find yourself able to play well - without "thinking".
IMO.