[Harp-L] Re: Names

Dear List,

I have always called the diatonics by the name "harp" and chromatics -"harmonica" so I play blues on harps and Concerti on the harmonica.

But the real truth is we have much more to worry about with the extinction of real players playing any kind of music verses machines when it comes to making a living. Now all the Major labels have dropped their Classical divisions and along with those went Jazz divisions, Blues, Folk, etc.

Let's hope for a swing away from that direction. I saw McCartney at the Garden with my son last week and the show started with 20 minutes of some DJ doing his thing. 34,000 people and he was the only one grooving on the music! But it does show you that a machine can get up in front of that many people and make music; how long before that becomes the norm. Sample this!!!!!

As far as chromatic goes, Rob Paparozzi and I are really getting the Grand Canyon Harmonica Seminar off the ground, putting together a great band with Bernard Purdie on drums, other great players to be announced. Sep 1-6 with a big Birthday Bash Concert for my 60th, all at the Grand Canyon. You want to learn to take your chromatic playing to a new level, come join us. Learn to jam on both instruments.

If you wish to see the "dead" chromatic harmonica in action, I will be playing Harmonica Concertos with the TCU Orchestra on Oct 11th in Fort Worth, with the Edmonton Symphony in Canada on the Oct 14 and 15th and in Puerto Rico Americas Festival on Oct 16, with ORQUESTA SINFONICA DE XALAPA in Veracruz on Oct 20th and in Xalapa on the 21st.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http:P//www.robertbonfiglio.com