[Harp-L] martial arts, music theory, pop music, and harmonica.

With martial arts and music, you practice to get muscle memory--that's the
magic. With martial arts you depend on muscle memory because there's no time to
think.

With martial arts you learn where and how to hit people--that's the physics.
With music you learn music theory--what notes to play and when.

With martial arts once you have the physics and the muscle memory down, you work
to improve them. The goal is to move a fast as possible, hit as hard as
possible, all with no concious thought. You don't care about what you're
saying. You care about surviving. There's more to music than muscle memory and
music theory. I want music with good arrangements, good melodies (I do after
all play a melody instrument) and I want a beat you can dance to. That's why I
play pop. As far as pop being a legitimate music form, I haven't heard anyone
write better songs than "Rubber Soul" era Beatles. I don't hear a lot of
difference between the B52's "Dead Beat Club" and Bach. Nothing wrong with
modern jazz, but sometimes you want to go out dancing.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm