RE: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1

I get the whole theory thing.  My initial comment was to use you ears
and emotion.  With enough emotion any note can be made to work.  My
point about notes was to not think in NOTES but to think in terms in
colors.  Most harp players don't know anything about theory or notes
enough to matter so it's easier to think in terms that we all
understand.

Emotions are global.  The "correct" note is cultural. If you play in
A in an Ab blues in the US it might sound weird.  Play that same note
in Turkey and people will rise to their feet. While back in the US of
A play that A note against the Ab with some gusto, intention and
emotion people will cheer you on too.

That was my point about notes. They DO matter but you can make them
NOT matter if you are intentional about it.

>>       Chris M. I've never heard you play but I
>>suspect you're
>>excellent .However, saying notes don't matter is
>>absurd . If
>>someone's playing an Ab blues and you're playing 2nd
>>pos.
>>on a D harp (key of A) it will sound like crap . Maybe
>>you
>>think everything is avant-garde and cool but the rest
>>of us
>>hopefully are into musical communication in other than
>>a strictly shock mode .

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available