[Harp-L] Re: New to the list HELLO!!!

Welcome to the list, Don!

There are probably easier ways, but you can definitely play the full blues scale in 1st position if you learn to overblow holes 4, 5, and 6.  I can do it on a couple of my harps, but not consistently enough to really play the blues that way yet.

An easier (to me) way to play the blues in an unusual position is to work on your blow bends and head for the far right side of the harp!  I LOVE playing high-pitched 4th position blues with the blow bends.  I find that it works very well for traditionals and spirituals, because you can easily bend notes for a bluesy feel while still playing at a high pitch that will make the songs sound familiar to most people.  I'm currently polishing up versions of "Amazing Grace" and "I'll Fly Away" played in this style.

And as others have said, take pride in your bluegrass sound!  We need more bluegrass harp players.

Jonathan Metts