Re: [Harp-L] Re: Junior Wells Hodoo Man Blues

----- Original Message ----- From: <riccardo.scotti@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Junior Wells Hodoo Man Blues
How could I guess if a song is played in 2nd or in 3rd position?
<snip>
---- Jim replies ----
Hi Rick
First, let's assume that we're confident that the tune is in B. "Snatch It Back and Hold It" doesn't really have any harp in it until Junior does his first solo at about 44 sec. The first two "notes" pretty much tell us enough to rule out an E harp: a slur from approximately G to G#, and then a B below that. Those notes are "out of range" on an E harp (as played by Jr. Wells in 1965 <g>) - the G to G# slur would require an overblow 1, and the B below is lower than the lowest note on that harp. Our knowledge today might lead us to try a low-E harp, and of course those notes are there, but still involve an overblow. A "B" harp played in 1st position is still not ruled out until about 4 sec in, where an overblow 1 would be required. Up to this point, out of a "normal" set of Richter-tuned harps, the "A" harp remains the best suspect.
Now that there's a hypothesis, we look for events that support or disprove it. Throughout the solos there is a recurrence of notes that would be "out of range" on the E and B harps. This at first leads to the conclusion that it's the same harp throughout. Which harp? Here is where experience or knowledge can come in and make it quicker to zero in. If you know about Jr. Wells' history, or the "state of the art" at the time the recording was made, you can apply that, but actual experimenting is the only sure way to tell (especially if the player you're trying to figure out is highly skilled).
Outside of the needs of a professional studio player who must be prepared for anything, having a full set of harps (that play well - that you can actually get all the notes on <g>) gives you the tools to experiment and test yourself as you try to figure out positions and techniques. I hope this helps a bit, and don't hesitate to ask more. This list is full of very knowledgeable folks.

Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim