Re: [Harp-L] playing "harmonica-lly"

In a message dated 11/24/2005 9:58:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mojoworkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>"Iceman writes:
*"To take diatonic to the next level, it should not be played
"harmonically", but like any other instrument in which you pick the
notes frst and then play them."*

Name one instrument where that happens.  I don't know any, and I have
known great musicians on a wide range of instruments.  How many pianists
actually choose to play in C# major without complaining?  Few that I've
met.  Same with organists"
>Huge snip

Well said!!!!
It is not the instrument that dictates what is happening, but rather it is
the artist. If you wish to truly fly free above the limitations of any
instrument, this is the way to go - play what is in your soul - instrument be damned.
Then, understand the limitations inherent in the chosen instrument. Factor this
in and come up with a compromise in reality.

If the piano won't allow you to bend a note, consider using ornamentation
(trills, turnarounds, sliding off a key, etc) to express your idea.

If a diatonic won't allow you the pure note due to OB/OD, work out an
effective alternative (move to a different octave, play with the timing, infer or
ghost the note, substitute a different one, etc).

Perhaps it was misunderstood, the word "harmonically". This has nothing to do
with harmony, but means not "diatonic harmonica like". When playing 4 hole
inhale bend, don't release it to 4 hole inhale. Play it like a note (pulling it
into tune) and then move on to another note choice. Play your notes created
through bending technique as if they were a given note. Resist the impulse to
bend/release because it sounds cool on the diatonic. Play pure long notes
without giving int o the urge to VIBRATO. Pretend that you are actually playing a
trumpet, not a diatonic harmonica. It will expand your musical sensibilities.
The best compliment to get is "Gee, I never knew a diatonic harmonica could
sound like THAT".

Pianists choosing C# without complaining? Chick Corea, Dr. Billy Taylor, some
young guy from Nashville that I met last week who plays and sells his own
brand of smooth jazz piano music, would be my first rebuttals to JR's experiences
with great musicians. (btw, I've spoken with Dr. Billy Taylor and Chick Corea
regarding C# and F# keys. They both feel that, if you truly wish to master
your instrument, every key is equal in ease to every other key. You play what is
in your soul - key be damned).

To not realize any of the above is to self limit yourself in expressing music
on your instrument, but hey, that's ok. It's your choice.

I choose to fly free whenver I can.

When it clicks, it's better than s-x.

The Iceman
(racking up those frequent flyer musical miles)