[Harp-L] re: jazz on diatonic ( & Masquerade)

Hey list,

  I like this thread!
   I used to REALLY want to play serious jazz on short harp. When  I first
started playing, ( I was already 32 when I got the harmonica  virus)  I was
influenced by major jazz snobs. After years of trying to fit  real music study
into a schedule that was full of day job, R&B band , &  family commitments, I
realized I started too late, & couldn't  possibly hang with  the jazz players I
admired most. I still  play around with "jazzy" tunes &  find that, with
overbends,  many classic jazz songs are fairly accesible on diatonic, including the
improvisational aspects. That is not the same thing as playing bop at
breakneck  tempos & hitting the choice, meaty notes. I've only heard one guy do that,
 & he does it as well as any horn player. (Ya'll know who I mean. That's  him
doing 'Masquerade' that Chris Michalek posted.)
   I have some hope that some of the new blood starting out will  get there
in time. ( Maybe also also G. Brooks, woodshedding on his mountain  in
Vermont).  I think that diatonic is a beautiful instrument for  jazz. (Howard's
"Masquerade", for one example). The 'limitations' are no  different than for
trombone (intonation, playing fast & clean), trumpet  ( same as 'bone)  , or piano (
no 'bends', some way more difficult keys),  for that matter. Some kick ass
classic  jazz recordings are full of  'mistakes' made by artists stretching their
instruments & their ideas.  Listen to "Live At The Plugged Nickel" (one of my
favorites) for many examples  of great, but not 'perfect', music.

 Anyway, Happy Thansgiving!!
Here in Michigan that includes  watching the long running drama  that is the
Detroit Lions. Whopee!!

Later,
Rosco
live cuts: _http://www.maybeaugust.com/Live.aspx_