Re: [Harp-L] LW Tremelo

John,

?I?ve Had My Fun? has a classic Little Walter intro, good interplay/call and
response between LW and Luther Tucker and the overall sound perhaps you could
call more upbeat and more optimistic than ?Going Down Slow.? Notice the
difference between the two titles. I do not know this for sure but this could
have something to do with the fact that one was issued and the other was not. I
personally love them both but have a soft spot for the ?blueness? of ?Going
Down Slow.? In any event the fact that the two versions are so different from
each other should be a good reminder to us all not to forget about the
improvisational side of the music.

On what was one of my truly most bizarre gigs, I was playing at Rosa?s in
Chicago with the recently departed Pinetop Perkins (may he rest in peace) and
we were just about to go on when the now famous O.J. Simpson high-speed auto
chase came on the big-screen; so much for that gig for a couple of hours. The
good part was that I got to talk with Dave Myers, one of Little Walter?s guitar
players for over an hour. One of the many things he told me was that the band
would sometimes record a completely different version of a song then what they
had been playing in the clubs up to that point. The Chess brothers could be
rather conservative and would sometimes keep pushing until they got a
more ?radio/jukebox friendly? in their eyes at least, version of a tune. Maybe
this is what we are hearing hear.

As for the reverb/delay, tremolo debate, why debate, why not use them all.
A '67 Ampeg ReverboJet is a great amp. If I had one, I would fire up that
tremolo.

Keith Dunn

Quoting john kuzloski <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>:

"...Thanks for replies...Yes, I think the giveaway is the regularity of the
pulse and  some other electro-sonic thing that I can't put my finger on that
just doesn't sound "natural." Interesting that the track went unissued for so
long...I had never noticed an LW trem before and never heard any mention of it
(on the web or in "the book").  The general consensus seems to be that tremelo
is not as desirable as reverb/delay -- I suppose that's true, you wouldn't want
to hear tremelo all the time!  But LW makes good use of it on that track, IMO.

I have a tremelo on my '67 Ampeg ReverboJet.  I don't use that amp all that
much and never use the tremelo..."