[Harp-L] William Galison ondiatonic

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:14:42 -0500
From: George Brooks <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Mystery Harp Player
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jason Rosenblatt writes:

 >Sure there are many that can
 >play the heads, and perhaps
 >get around the changes, but
 >as far as I've heard only Howard
 >really stands out as a jazz musician
 >who happens to play the diatonic
 >harmonica. (Don't hurt me!)

>I won't, but Galison might (listening to Galison is like listening to
>Howard: phenomenally exciting and profoundly discouraging at the same
>time).

>A couple of years ago, at a SPAH or a Buckeye, William was up on stage,
absolutely tearing it up on some jazz tune on a 12 hole chromatic (his
usual instrument).  He was standing center stage and had a music stand
in front of him, the solid metal kind.  Well, everybody who has heard
Galison knows that he can play take-no-prisoners jazz on a chromatic
so, while the music was great, this was nothing unusual.  Then, in the
middle of a solo, he reached down to his music stand with one hand,
came up with a diatonic, put the chromatic down with his other hand,
and continued to blast away with undiminished energy, chops and
conviction and, if memory serves, without dropping a beat.  He used the
entire range of the harp, he played fast, he played clean, and he hit
lots of overblows, overdraws, and other bends as parts of runs at high
speed.  All with consummate musicality.  It's a cliche, I know, but it
actually happened: my jaw dropped.

>William has some records of his chromatic playing but, as far as I
know, nothing recorded playing jazz on the diatonic.

>George

  I think William takes a diatonic solo on Peter Cincottis "On the moon" CD, song is "Bali hai". (If it´s "jazz" is of course debatable.)
  And, to my vague recollection, he sounds a bit strained on a couple of overblows. Some comfort there perhaps.
  /Martin