Re: [Harp-L] XB-40 Extreme Bender Pros and Cons query

In a message dated 11/18/05 7:55:05 PM, moorcot@xxxxxxx writes:

> I suspect that a good few people on this
> list have bought an XB40, played it for a bit and then decided that the game
> ain't worth the candle. They possess a harp that sounds sour and has uneven
> response - the latter especially is something one associates with cheap
> market-stall harps.  What a shame, because when an XB40 plays well it's a
> good harp and it does live up fully to the claims made for it with regard to
> bending.

    I bought a C XB40 early on and you can include me among the group that is
not happy. I don't think it was anywhere close to worth what I paid... That
said, I took it apart, adjusted the gap on the reeds as best I could and it was
much better. There is still some kind of 'flap' noise, I am guessing, that
bugs me on one hole. And the top end of the C XB40s is not really useable.
   I found it to be moderately useful for me in first position, though I have
not touched it in a year. I have way too many issues with diatonic and my
failings there to worry about the 'Bender.'
I would consider trading my C for a lower key if anyone is interested. (OK, I
don't really expect this to happen.)
   That's my 2 cents worth.
Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb