Re: [Harp-L] best of pigpen

Joel Fritz <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In all fairness, my favorite SF band of the time was the Airplane. I
> couldn't stand the vocals or the lyrics but I thought Jorma Kaukonnen
> and Jack Cassidy were terrific.  In retrospect I think I was even more
> right than I thought I was at the time.

interestingly, in the mid-80's jorma made some effort to improve
his singing voice, working with rick danko, as i recall.  the results,
as heard on "pair a dice found", were significantly better than his
prior singing.  he's still no nightingale, but it did make a difference.

in retrospect, though, i can think of hardly anyone i've ever liked
who could sing, in the sense of having a "classic" good voice.  yet
all were enjoyable, and effective in their music.  the heros of our
generation were built on instrumental ability, songwriting, and power.
voice quality was way down the list.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?