Re: [Harp-L] Re: LW amp

Gosh, what more can I say? Other than developing your acoustic tone, the road to LW's sound is using a cheapo amp or PA and a high output mic with a restricted frequency response. I have an old Stromberg Carlson PA amp that I play through a variety of different speakers. The most LW sounding configuration is two 12" alnico speakers that came from parted out organs. I also have a converted institutional record player where I replaced the 4 ohm 6" speaker with two nameless 8 ohm 4 x 6 speakers wired in parallel. It sounds great and has a cool folding case that latches.

Regardless, the gear is only as good as you are. It's a cliche because it's true. I know a guy who's really pleasant and loves the blues who can play through anything and sound awful no matter how hard he tries. Walter Horton, Howlin Wolf, and most of the ODBG played through anything and everything. In the 50s it was all through equipment that wasn't that high quality because that's all there was or at least what they could afford.

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

M. N. wrote:
A few brief, somewhat pointless, rambling thoughts on Little Walter and his gear, tone, outlook, etc. (Disclaimer: These thoughts are NOT directed at anyone ..... just a few random musings.) First, there is no "Little Walter sound." Christ, on any collection of his hits, you'll hear three, even four, different harp tones, from acoustic to full-on grungy, to ethereal and echoing. That variety is a huge part of his genius. Second, there is no Little Walter mic or amp, period. The guy played anything that was laying around. Sure, most folks would agree the he generally used a high-output mic into a tube amp (guitar or PA matters little, in the 50s, they were both tube amps) but everyone singing or blowing harp into a mic back then was using a high-output mic into a tube amp. It's all there was. Third, not everything the guy ever played was the greatest stuff ever laid down. There's a good bit of LW stuff I find pretty weak. Maybe he walked on water (I guess) but that doesn't mean he never played a tired lick. Not a slam on Walter, just an observation. Lastly, if you've ever wondered what Walter would be doing if he were alive today, I have an answer: Pounding on his coffin lid, screaming, "Let me out, muth%^@#&$%ers!"
Carry on,
MN