Re: [Harp-L] Re: Preventing Hearing Loss

Ditto to all of this.  Bullfrog
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan" <billybudd1313@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Preventing Hearing Loss

> This thread has gone around a few times.  Just wanted to chime in.  Maybe
if it goes on long enough, a few people will lose less hearing and have less
ringing in their ears.

> My ears ring constantly (albeit quietly) and I'm starting to lose some
accuity in crowded situations.  It really sucks.  I got musician's earplugs
earlier this year, and I want to advocate their use.

> For harp content:  I've found that wearing plugs distorts what you hear as
tone from an amplifier.  It is therefore even more critical that you (one)
practice(s) even more and can trust in your tone.  Little elements of nuance
are difficult to hear, but still important.  I think practicing acoustically
while holding a mic is one key.  Another, is recording yourself.

> It's great to hear your own stuff at full volume, live, but it catches up
to you.  Those nights in bed listening to the "weeeeeeeeee" that should be
silence, can be avoided.