[Harp-L] Tone

From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK I'm going to ask the question I shouldn't but Johnny Bishop has
such great tone that I am questioning my own.  Please feel free to
share you thoughts on my tone.

I was going to send this just to you, but I think it belongs on the list.

I've always found it odd how so many harp players seem to be in search of the holly grail tone. It reminds me of pretty women checking each other out. "She's got bigger err, eyes than me" "She's got the round err, nose" Viva la difference! Comparing the difference in tone of two excellent players is like comparing features on pretty women. It's not a zero sum thing, different does not take anything away from anything.

I was there last night to hear the two of you play. I thought about it quite a bit today. Certainly Johnny's tone has more of a sassy quality, it fits his style of play and music . I really enjoyed it, he's one hell of a blues man. Your tone is more horn-like (and other sounds on different songs) that is right for the music that you like to play. Trying to compare that is like comparing beautiful women, you miss out on a bunch of beauty. Some people like (subjective) the tone of one player better than another, that's just preference. There is tremendous diversity in the tone and overall sound in harp players, it's a good thing.

Peace and music,
Dave