[Harp-L] Subject: Preventing hearing loss...From Prevention.com

Worth a read?

>From PREVENTION.COM

(http://ads1.rodale.com/event.ng/Type=click&FlightID=1&AdID=1&TargetID=2&Segments=1,1011,1834,1896,1956,2054,2198,3518&Targets=2,1764,1794,1875&Va
lues=31,43,51,60,72,85,91,100,110,150,201,212,954,1258,1274,1363,1617,1783,189
6&RawValues=&adsize=1x1&Redirect=http://www.rodale.com)
(http://ads1.rodale.com/click.ng/site=pv&adsize=390x40&pv_channel=health&pv_category=healthylivin
g&pv_topics=wellness)   "Hear Hear!     Protect your ears from hearing  loss;
here's how

by Molly Lyons

Debra Palumbo wasn't ready to admit that her hearing was  fading. It didn't
matter that her family was always after her  to turn down the radio and that
she constantly had to ask  people to repeat themselves. "I was only 39; I
thought I was  too young to lose my hearing, so I ignored it for about 10  years,"
says Palumbo, now 51, of Cortland, OH. "But it got to  the point that people
didn't want to talk to me, and I avoided  social situations."

Palumbo may have felt isolated,  but she was hardly alone: While half of
people between the  ages of 40 and 59 have difficulty hearing, only a third have
had their hearing tested, found a recent survey of 437 people  by the EAR
Foundation, an advocacy organization in Nashville.  And for 44% of those with
hearing difficulty, leaving the loss  unchecked has created social obstacles that
often translate  into frustration and depression. "It's tiring to strain to
hear and to fake your way through conversations," says Gail M.  Whitelaw, PhD,
audiologist and president of the American  Academy of Audiology. "People don't
realize how much emotional  stress they're under until they go for help."
Don't wait. Take  these steps to protect--and regain--your  hearing.

Get Tested
Often, people don't even  recognize that their hearing is slipping away until
suddenly,  they find it's difficult to catch what others are saying. The
reason: Sounds in the highest-frequency range are the first to  go, followed by
those in the lower registers, which is where  most speech falls, says Richard
Salvi, PhD, director of the  Center for Hearing and Deafness at the State
University of New  York at Buffalo. This is why it's important to get checked by
an audiologist every few years, starting in your 40s, so you  can spot and
treat problems early.

Avoid  Offenders
While genetics and aging play a part in  hearing loss, chronic noise exposure
is also a common cause.  Whether it's occupational (years of working around
loud  machinery) or recreational (regularly attending rock  concerts),
excessive noise can permanently damage cilia, the  tiny hairs in the inner and outer
ear that transmit sound to  the brain or amplify it.

It's not just droning mowers  and thumping speakers that cause harm;
headphones can pack a  mighty wallop, too. Results from a recent Australian study
suggest that 25% of those using personal stereo devices  regularly listen to
music at levels high enough to eventually  cause hearing damage. A smart rule of
thumb: If those around  you can hear your latest download, or if you can't hear
people  talking to you while listening to music, the volume is too  high.

Unhealthy habits play a part in hearing loss, as  well. For instance, smoking
and chronic heavy drinking may  damage blood vessels in the ears, resulting
in dim hearing.  High cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes are also
contributors.

Wear Protection
If you're  debating whether you need to safeguard your hearing with
earplugs, ask yourself: Am I ever in an environment where I  have to strain to hold a
comfortable conversation with the  person next to me? Are my ears ringing
after I'm exposed to  noise? If the answer to either is yes, wear plugs. Try the
custom variety, which are made to fit only your ears (about  $40), or
over-the-counter earplugs ($3 to $11). If the noise  comes via a shooting range or
landscaping equipment, however,  you may want to consider muffs instead ($17 to
$20 at home  improvement stores).

Hear Again
Whether your  hearing loss is slight or significant, there are measures you
can take to enhance what you do hear. "If you're in a noisy  restaurant or
meeting, sit with your back to the wall; it'll  reduce the number of directions
sound is coming from. And  position yourself so you're face to face with
everyone so you  can pick up visual cues," says David R. Friedland, MD, PhD,
assistant professor, department of otolaryngology and  communication sciences at the
Medical College of Wisconsin.  Avoid echo-inducing locales such as large open
rooms with bare  floors. Small spaces with drapes, carpets, soft furniture,
and  low ceilings help dampen secondary noise.

Sometimes,  however, these tweaks just aren't enough. If that's the case,
see a certified audiologist to find out if you might benefit  from a hearing
aid. For mild to moderate hearing loss, you may  get help with conventional (aka
analog) aids, which amplify  sound via a thin tube that sits in or behind the
ear.  "Cosmetically, you can hardly notice the newer aids,"  Friedland says.
"They're so small, they can be hidden  completely in the ear canal; even the
ones that go behind the  ear are discreet." ($900 to $1,200 per aid; often
people need  one for each ear.)

If you require more sound boosting,  you'll be relieved to know you won't be
forced to wear a  clunky, outdated aid. The new digital versions are smaller
and  more inconspicuous, and they can separate background noise  from speech
with startling clarity. These updated aids are  costly, though, ranging from
$1,400 to $2,500 per aid. But for  many, the results are well worth the expense.
"As soon as I  got my aids, I stopped pretending I knew what was going
on-because I did know," Palumbo says. "I was able to  participate in life again."
She also realized that when she  didn't have the aids, she was missing out on
life's little  details. "Right after I got my hearing aids, I was sitting on  my
front porch and I heard the crickets for the first time in  years. I was just
thrilled. I never knew how much I missed  them."

The Cost of Aid
Most insurance plans  either don't pay for hearing aids or pay only a portion
of the  cost. However, _vocational rehabilitation  programs_
(http://www.parac.org/svrp.html)  and local branches of volunteer  service organizations such
as the Lions, Kiwanis, and Rotary  clubs may provide assistance. Call to find
out."

Elizabeth