Re: [Harp-L] Reed plate screws / tapping reed plates

The simplest solution I have on mind is drill the
lower reedplate holes up to get the M2 bolts through
easily, and tighten the bolts with nuts. You might
need longer bolts. In this case, buy longer bolts :-)

If the thread in the reedplate is worn, you might
either try to re-cut the treads AND use new bolts. For
this, you will need M2 threadcutter or whatever size
your hole is. If your thread is not badly worn, you
might be lucky and with a new bolt you get good
clamping force. Do not use the old bolt if it is not
in excellent condition.

If you drill the holes up and want to have thread in
it, you need to cut new, larger thread and use larger
diameter screw, and thus drill up the hole in the comb
as well. But I do not recommend this.

And there is a last attempt if somebody is not happy
with the ones above to repair the thread. Clean the
holes with the worn thread with some solvent. Re-cut
the thread with the original size thread cutter, if
there is anything left of the old one. Smear some good
epoxy into the threads only (do not block the hole).
Use epoxy with high strength (I mean not 5 minute
epoxy, it is shit). Wait a few hours (depends on the
curing time of the epoxy). Now drill the hole with a
drill size which goes easily through a threaded hole
which is in good condition. In case of M2 use M1.5 for
example. Finally re-cut the thread. Dont tighten it
too hard during assembly. However, I do not recommend
this either.

Bolting through and tightening with a nut should work
in any case and perhaps the simplest way if your
bolts/holes are worn.

Zombor