Re: [Harp-L] day jobs

On Nov 7, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

day Jobs ain' all they're cracked up to be. I'm getting ready to leave my day gig behind to be a road dawg for a few years or possibly forever if I'm successful.

Aaah, but Chris, you have what it takes. Not to mention a TOTALLY different style. I remember when we spoke (abt 1997) and you were in a quandry, were thinking of giving up harp for a while, couldn't find what direction you wanted to go musically, and what did I say? I told you it would pass and DON't quit, the lost time would hurt you. You wouldn't remember me, but that's what happened.

If it's a scary move because I have a super gravy day gig for one of the world's most profitable companies that more than pays the bills and allows me to book tours and come and go as I please while being paid very well.

Not that 'I' could have EVER made it, and of course I wasn't referring to myself, but I WAS referring to Madcat, yourself, Randy Singer, and a plethora of others, who, for the most part, don't stray from home for any great distance or any great length of time.
But let's suppose that at the age of 16 (many moons ago) I WAS capable (which I WAS). I elected to NOT do it because I learned an awfully long time ago that 'Medical Insurance' was the most important aspect of holding a job and that without your health, you ain't got NUTTIN.
I had sat in with Guy Lombardo and some other names (back in the late 50s) but I never pursued it. My parents reminded me that there were thousands of starving artists and very damn few actually make it. Since I like to know where I'm sleeping and eating next, I opted out.

  Still it's not worth losing on the dream of being a
true pro musician.

On the one hand I have to agree with you and Randy Singer had drummed this into my head. On the other hand, since I have never (really) made money with the ole Krome Klondike, and as a matter of fact it has cost me money to play harp, I don't owe harp anything and at this point dreams are a little too far past my prime. Hell, I even sold my beautiful big sailboat that I wanted to sail to Australia with, and settled down to a life of 'doldrum-boring-practicality.

 If you do do it, you're a better man than I am Gunga Din.
smokey-joe

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by EWOL using Declude Virus]