From: Mox Gowland [mailto:mox1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:46 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Diatonic Position Question

Dennis Alters wrote:
> I was wondering what is the position number and Greek name when  the first
scale degree or root note is the 1 draw bent. Checked my resource materials
and could not find it.>

Tim, IMHO, quite correctly replied;

>Not to pick nits here, but there isn't really an equivalency between root
note and mode; you can pick them independently from each other.  Starting on
the Db on a C harp -- 1 draw bent down a semitone -- is eighth position.

You could play in ionian mode: 1d- 1ob 2d-- 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3ob 4d-

or dorian mode: 1d- 1ob 2b 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3d 4d-

or mixolydian mode:1d- 1ob 2d-- 2d- 3d--- 3d- 3d 4d-

and so on.  None of them look very intuitive.>

Alternatively, if you consider using just the 1 & the 4 draw bends plus the
overdraw on the 7 & 10 holes to replace the 1, 4, 7 & 10 blow holes then
there are some very interesting results.
You will find these scales/modes on a regular C Richter by playing a C#
instead of the C natural.

C#  Superlocrian  - Chord type; Alt
Spelling :      C#  D   E   F    G   A    B   C#
Scale degrees ; 1   b2  b3  b4   b5  b6   b7  1
Tab             1d- 1d  2b  2d-  2d  3d-- 3d  4d-

D ascending melodic minor, also known as 'Jazz minor'
- Chord type; minor M7.
Spelling :      D   E   F    G   A    B   C#   D
Scale degrees ; 1   2   b3   4   5    6   7    1
Tab             1d  2b  2d-  2d  3d-- 3d  4d-  4d

E Javanais - Chord type; min b7 b9
Spelling :      E   F    G   A    B   C#   D    E
Scale degrees ; 1   b2   b3  4    5   6    b7   1
Tab             2b  2d-  2d  3d-- 3d  4d-  4d   5b

F Lydian Augmented  - Chord type; b7#11
Spelling :      F    G   A    B   C#   D    E   F
Scale degrees ; 1    2   3    #4  5    6    7   1
Tab             2d-  2d  3d-- 3d  4d-  4d   5b  5d

G Lydian Dominant also known as the Bartok scale - chord type; b7 alt5
Spelling :      G   A    B   C#   D    E   F   G
Scale degrees ; 1   2    3   #4   #5   6   7   1
Tab             2d  3d-- 3d  4d-  4d   5b  5d  6b

A  Aeolian Major - Chord type; b7 b13
Spelling :      A    B   C#  D   E   F   G    A
Scale degrees ; 1    2   3   4   5   b6  b7   1
Tab             3d-- 3d  4d- 4d  5b  5d  6b   6d

B Locrian "Natural 2" - Chord type; min. b7 alt5
Spelling :      B   C#  D   E   F   G    A    B
Scale degrees ; 1   2   b3  4   b5  b6   b7   1
Tab             3d  4d- 4d  5b  5d  6b   6d   7d

If this is difficult to read on your screen please change the police to
courier

 All these scales/modes are often used in jazz improvisation.
Hope this helps
Mox