Re: [Harp-L] Embossing is in

Siegfried wrote:
> Actually, the World Harmonica Festival takes place in Trossingen
> and I bet that not a single embossed harp is played on stage.

I'd take that bet.

> Tim, you recently said that embossing plays a dramatic role in the
> world of diatonics. When you spoke of a "dramatic" role the sense
> was then unambigous but actually it is dramatic to see the efforts
> to have harps which can be played by the "nose breath".

I believe my reference to the "dramatic" effect of embossing had to
do with the change in tone, rather than the improvement in
responsiveness.

> I´d liked to know whether Howard Levy has ever played
> an embossed GM.

I'd guess the answer to that is yes.  I haven't examined any of
Howard's harps personally (although I know that he no longer plays
GMs, but instead plays Filisko modified composite comb Marine Bands
fitted with Special 20 covers), but I've seen enough of the work
from the Filisko guild to know that embossing is a regular part of
the work they do.

> I´ve the feeling that all these would-be embossers produce more
> damage than gain.

This is also the impression I get from some of the recent emails on
the topic.

Take care,

-tim