Re: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Embossing Tools

Tim Moyer writes:

>There are other ways to emboss the slot closer to the rivet end of
>the reed.  One is to use something like a glass cutter to "score"
>the slots outside the reed area.  In this technique the reed isn't
>touched at all.  Another would be to support the reed and actually
>emboss the *reed* to widen it at the edges, rather than to narrow
>the slot.

Another method is to use the so-called "wax fix" - i.e. use a small
amount of wax or nail polish to close the slot gap near the base of the
reed. It can be tricky getting the right amount - too much and you
interfere with the reed swing and deaded the sound. I haven't
experimented with this much - I tend to use the methods Tim describes
above - but I've noticed traces of it in the work of some customizers.

Winslow